Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Curtain Please

After a mind-boggling 1,245 posts spread out over what is approaching four years, I've decided to put an end to this blog. There are several reasons for it. First, readership is reaching pretty low levels, compared to where it had been in other years. Second, I have been increasingly unable to get the blog updated and it now looks like it might be difficult to update consistently over the next two months. And finally, there are now plenty of other sources for this information.

I had hoped to make it to the end of four years, at least, but it was not to be.

Thanks to everyone for reading and commenting as much as you have. This has been a great experience. I've had contacts with publications, major media outlets, great comments from people from all over the world, and a huge amount of education on the topic. I was even the Yahoo! site of the day at one point.

I started the blog on December 27, 2004 because I was planning to follow some news feeds on bird flu, and figured I might as well post them, too. It lasted far longer and generated far more interest than I thought it would. In the beginning, if it hadn't been for Recombinomics, there are many days when there would have been no news.

There are also certainly other similar blogs that give a similar outlook to the topic. I would point you to:

Crofsblog

(The remainder of these links I have cribbed from Crofsblog's vacation post).

SophiaZoe's Pandemic Chronicle

Mike Coston's Avian Flu Diary

Ma Yingshen's Chen Qi

The Reveres' Effect Measure

Ed Hammond's Immunocompetent

Scott McPherson's Web Presence

Thanks everyone.

8 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your time and effort. Best wishes to you in all your future endeavors.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your years of public service, Orange. I have kept your blog on my home page, and even if I haven't opened the blog every day in recent months, I continue to check your leading headline to see if the story has taken any dramatic turns.

I feel quite a bit better prepared for a pandemic (or other disaster), having read your blog these last years, so thanks again to you and to your faithful scribe, Wulfgang, who took us behind the headlines every day, for making that possible.

You'll be missed!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Wulfgang said...

Orange;

Well, looks like this is indeed the final curtain. It’s been a pleasure reading your updates and commenting on them. Thank you for your time and efforts and allowing me to comment for so long. Who knows if the infamous influenza pandemic will ever emerge? (Myself, I have very little doubt that we will see one during our life time - the statistics and historical time lines alone lead to this conclusion). Unfortunately, we are looking at a strange phenomenon where even though the leading governments of the world are still earnestly preparing for a major communicable health disaster, they have also marginalized the subject (for many purposes) and embargoed valuable disease information that should be released.

In any event, Godspeed to you Orange, your skills will be missed by many.

Final message – over and out from the Wulfster…

PS: Faithful scribe eh lisa ? How did you know I look like Friar Tuck !

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger De Verrassing said...

Shoot! I just linked your site to mine! You are causing a lot of "administrative" trouble to
me /;-) I hope you will be around for some more reading and maybe advice for the "stay behinders". Keep healthy and safe.
Ma Yingshen from a Morning Fresh Breeze

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks indeed ! I have always read your blog with interest and think you did a great job !

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks indeed ! I have always read your blog with interest and think you did a great job !

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for carried out work. As journalist, I often used your information in the past. Good luck and with the pleasure of reading again you!
Alex G.
Former french-canadian journalist.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not read your blog daily, though nearly every month, I went through all the useful links and information. Working in the Disaster Recovery field, your research/links were important to me. Thanks for everything you did. Will miss your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home